Sancta Clara Monastery
Located in Canton Ohio, this stately tudor was once the home of John and Ida O’Dea. Who would have imagined, back in the early 1940’s, that it was destined to become a monastery of Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration.
In August of 1945 the O’Dea’s approached Bishop James McFadden to offer their 15 acre estate for the purpose of establishing a religious house of Eucharistic Adoration. Bishop McFadden conferred with Mother Mary Agnes, Abbess and Foundress of the First American monastery of our Order in Cleveland, Ohio. Grateful for the opportunity to extend the boundaries of Eucharistic Adoration she called on six of her Sisters to pioneer new foundation.
Within a year the founding members, led by Mother Mary Clare, had settled into the Canton Monastery to continue their mission of Eucharistic Adoration. Fifteen months later, the O’Dea’s dream was realized when Bishop McFadden dedicated the original Sancta Clara Monastery. Today, in the community cemetery, both the O’Dea’s have their final resting place near the monastery they made possible.